Monday, November 21, 2011

Open Source-Final Presentation

Hello classmates and group members.  Here is my final video presentation.  My references can be found at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zwbZguTz0WHuaQnn__VUjF2-6TPBvv4Zg72clT0DL0Y/edit

    

References
Carey, P., & Gleason, B. (2006). Vision 2010:  the future of higher education business and learning applications. Innovate:  Journal of Online Education, 3(1).

Hepburn, G., & Buley, J. (2006). Getting open source software into schools:  strategies and challenges. Innovate:  Journal of Online Education, 3(1).

Inel, D., & Balim, A. (2010).  The effects of using problem-based learning in science and technology teaching upon students’ academic achievement and levels of structuring concepts.  Asia-Pacific Forum on Science Learning and Teaching, 11(2).

Schneider K. (2008).  Free for all: open source software. School Library Journal             August 1, 2008;54(8):44-46. Available from: ERIC, Ipswich, MA.
Stephenson, R. (2006). Open source/open course learning: lessons for educators from free open source software. Innovate:  Journal of Online Education, 3(1).

Still, B. (2010). A dozen years after open source's 1998 birth, it's time for           "opentechcomm". Journal Of Technical Writing And Communication, 40(2), 219-228.

Uys, P. M. (2010). Implementing an Open Source Learning Management System: A       Critical Analysis of Change Strategies. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 26(7), 980-995.

van Rooij, S. (2011). Higher education sub-cultures and open source adoption.  Computers & Education, 57(1), 1171-1183.

Wiley, D. (2006). Open source, openness, and higher education. Innovate: Journal of    Online Education, 3(1).

Other References
Music by my deceased nephew Dominique McAroy

Student Pictures by Brigit McAroy


Cartoon images by:  






10 comments:

  1. Brigit;
    I especially liked your footage of Richard Stallman and his insights towards open source opportunities, advantages for society and technological partnerships, and the challenges to overcoming this relationship of sharing original works.

    I am not sure about how individuals who design, develop and profit from their efforts will collaborate to evolve towards this type of relationship.

    This part of the video was very successful: applications and proactive measures towards successful diffusion of open source learning resources.

    You might be interested in these resources:

    http://www.webappers.com/

    While watching your video, I wondered about the freedom statements and how they are being accepted in business, government, and learning environments.

    I have seen others be successful with video creation when using a multimedia presentation that included narration, video, music, and interactive collaborative activities for the learner.

    Enjoyed your views, effort, and approach to providing information on a subject of which I had not previously considered.

    Good luck with your future educational endeavors.

    David Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brigit,

    I especially liked how your research smoothly translated through the narration of your presentation. The part of the video that was very successful was your narration of your images and the formatting of the video through Windows Movie Maker. I am not sure about the video clip you inserted. I have seen others succeed with video creation when they rip videos from sources such as You Tube to insert in a video. You may want to try downloading such a program to insert the video clip you included about open source. While watching your video, I wondered about how I can use open source software in my classroom. Great work!

    Tiffany Harrell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brigit

    Your beginning and ending is nicely done. Content wise, I thought you were right on and it was nice not to hear a bunch of references and such. Very easy to understand.

    Production wise, there could be some improvements. The audio is quite overmodulated and I had difficulty reading the white text. Also, next time you may want to use a tripod or something to stablize that shot of your presenter. His hair and beard was and is wild huh? He looks like one smart hippie. lol.

    Anyways, a quality effort. I think if you sweeten your production value, it has potential to be much more effective. Nice job.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brigit,
    After watching your presentation on open source soft ware I have learned how important the free flow of information is to 21st century learning technology in schools. I like the introduction part to start and that gave a synopsis into the body of your presentation.
    I see that you had narrated lengthy section of your film. I am not sure sure about how the public could ensure that the material source with respect to the information in the open software source is credible. However you did mention that the advantages and disadvantages need to be looked at. Open source software might need to have parents input, and also approval from the student across the nation. Maybe the inclusion of a member of the public could integrate the thoughts of open source software and its perceived acceptance for adoption as an innovation in the school system.
    The video was a little long over time. I too had an issue with time in my video but after collaborating with my team I made adjustments for more video and reduction of reel time. I believe however, that your presentation was great and one could understand why there is a need for open source software to expand learning. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi David,
    Thanks for your comments. I checked out the web site you listed and it has some very interesting resources. I appreciate your help with everything. Thanks again and again! :)
    Brigit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tiffany,
    I truly enjoyed working with you this quarter. Thank you for your comments and I will make sure to look for other resources on how to insert videos in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tim and Cecil,
    Thank you for your comments. My intentions were to include several thoughts of open source, but I did not have time with my illness and computer issues.
    Hopefully, I will be more prepared in the future. Thanks,
    Brigit

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brigit,
    Your video is very informative, I can say it shed the light on the history of open source movement. I especially liked the first part of your video.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that your video presentation was very informative, as I learned a lot of information about the history and necessity of the open source movement that I had not been exposed to prior to viewing your video.

    You may be interested in these videos related to your topic:

    http://chrisjean.com/2009/03/12/a-good-video-on-the-history-of-the-open-source-movement/
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSOYm16v3PM
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkA1Jd882T4

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great presentation! I loved the music in the beginning and your introduction. You covered the topic very well and I am definitely more informed about the open source movement.

    ReplyDelete